Naousa (Greek: Νάουσα, historically Νάουσσα – Naoussa), officially The Heroic City of Naousa is a city in the Imathia regional unit of Macedonia, Greece. Population 32,494 (2011). It is situated in the eastern foothills of the Vermio Mountains, 17 kilometres (11 miles) northwest of Veroia. Naousa is surrounded by orchards, producing peaches, apples, cherries and other fruits. The jam brand name Naousa is known all over Greece. Its dry red wines are also well known, sold under the “Naousa” denomination of origin. Naousa is also known for its parks (Municipal Park, Park of Saint Nicholas etc.) and for its ski resorts (3-5 Pigadia and Seli). Naoussa is home of one of the three female named Greek rivers, Arapitsa, together with Neda in Peloponnesus and Erkyna in Livadia.An industrial center since the 19th century, for most of the 20th century the history of Naousa was closely intertwined with that of the Lanaras family, local industrialists who, at the height of their influence, employed almost half of Naousa’s population in their textile factories. The Lanaras family built hospitals, social centers etc. while streets of Naousa were named after family members. In the 1990s and 2000s however, most of the local factories closed, leaving Naousa with a serious (and still unresolved) unemployment problem. Due to its industrial past, Naousa is traditionally a stronghold of the Communist Party of Greece.
The city is situated in ancient Emathia west of the ancient Macedonian town of Mieza and the site of ancient School of Aristotle. The area, according to Herodotus, was where the fertile Gardens of King Midas were situated. Later, in the current position of the city, the Romans established the colony of Nova Augusta. The name changed through the centuries to Niagusta, Niaousta and Niaousa, until it became today’s Naousa.
In 1705, an armatolos named Zisis Karademos led a Greek uprising against the local Ottoman garrison.
In 1822, during the Greek War of Independence, the fighting in Central Macedonia against the Turks came to a dramatic finale in Naousa. Abdul Abud, the Pasha of Thessaloniki, arrived on 14 March at the head of a 16,000 strong force and 12 cannons. The Greeks defended Naousa with a force of 4,000 under Anastasios Karatasos, Dimitrios Karatasos, Aggelis Gatsos, Karamitsos and Philippos, the son of Zafeirakis Theodosiou, under the overall command of Zafeirakis Theodosiou and Anastasios Karatasos. The Turks attempted to take the town of Naousa on 16 March, and again on 18 and 19 March, without success. On 24 March the Turks began a bombardment of the city walls that lasted for several days. After requests for the town’s surrender were dismissed by the Greeks, the Turks charged the Gate of St George on Good Friday, 31 March. The Turkish attack failed but on 6 April, after receiving fresh reinforcements of some 3,000 men, the Turkish army finally overcame the Greek resistance and entered the city. In an infamous incident, as the rebels were abandoning the town, some of the women left behind committed suicide by falling down a cliff over the small river Arapitsa. Zafeirakis Theodosiou was pursued by a Turkish unit and was killed. The other Greek leaders retreated southwards. Abdul Abud laid the town and surrounding area to waste. The fall and massacre of Naousa marked the end of the Greek Revolution in Central Macedonia.
Naousa has a large population of Aromanians, also known as Vlachs, and a small Romani population.
(From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naousa,_Imathia )